Hello Gardeners and Aspiring Gardeners!
This page is a curated list of some of my gardening articles to help you navigate through this broad topic. However, I’ve written hundreds of articles on gardening for many different organizations. So, if you are looking for something not shown in the lists below, please also check my Books & Media page.
Environmentally Beneficial Gardening
Gardening is a big term that has a lot of possible meanings. Personally, I garden as a form of environmental activism and because I love good food and enjoy working with nature. I’m focused on growing edible and medicinal plants, supporting wildlife, and returning carbon to the soil in beautiful ways. If that’s what you are here for, then these articles might be just what you are looking for!
- Natural Garden Planning
- Carbon Gardening
- How Does Your Garden Grow?
- Landscape Gardening: Real Permaculture
My latest book Weed-Free Gardening is also all about building a deep and meaningful relationship with natural systems while having a fantastically productive and beautiful garden.
If your focus is to grow fruits and vegetables in earth-friendly ways, life-enhancing these posts can help.
Starting a Potager
This 10 post series is intended to help you design, create, and harvest your own personal potager.
- Starting a Homestead Potager
- Plan Your Homestead Potager Garden Location
- Pathways For Your Homestead Potager
- Homestead Potager Garden Bed Design
- The Homestead Potager Garden Design
- Constructing Your Homestead Potager
- Plant Your Homestead Potager
- Harvest and Succession Plant Your Homestead Potager
- Easy Composting for Your Organic Garden
- The Power of a Well-Planned Potager
Advanced Potager Skills
In your second year and beyond, as a potager-style gardener, there are lots of things you can do to expand your skill, your garden area, and your food production. These posts are meant to help you move further along the potager path.
- Cover Crops: An Invigorating Vacation for Your Soil!
- What to Grow in Your Potager
- Potager Gardening in a Crisis
- Simplestead Guide to Pruning Plants
- The Mega-List of Fertilizers for Your Organically-Grown Garden
The posts in this section include tools such as calculators to help you keep your garden growing its best.
- Vegetable Garden Planting Calendar
- Choosing the Right Plants For Your Garden
- Material Volume & Weight Calculator for Mulch, Compost, Gravel, Sand, and More
- Fertilizer Calculator: Find Out How Much Fertilizer to Use in Your Garden
- Carbon to Nitrogen Compost Calculator: Create the Perfect Compost Pile
Spices and Herbs
My journey as a gardener began because I fell in love with the aroma of Herbes de Provence while on a vacation in France. Even 20 years after I started my first small herb garden, I still find herbs and spices to be some of the most lovely, interesting, and useful plants of all. I hope these posts will connect you with all the fragrant, flavorful cultures around the world as you grow your garden and your gardening skills.
General Spice and Herb Stuff
- The Year-Round Spice Garden
- How to Grow Exotic Spices for Self-Sufficiency At Home
- Harvesting, Preserving, and Propagating Spring Herbs
- 2-Minute-Super Simple Dried Herb Processing and Preservation Solution (on Pinterest)
- How to Plan an All-Purpose Herb Garden
- How to Create an Exotic Edible Landscape in Your Greenhouse
- Seed Stratification: A Comprehensive Guide to This Seed Germination Trick
- 20 Easy-to-Grow Spices You Can Grow at Home
- 12 Underused Herbs Every Smart Gardener Should Know and Grow
- Why You Should Have a Herb Spiral and How to Build It in 4 Steps
- How to Propagate New Plants with Minimal Work Using Layering
- Many Benefits of Mints and Their Surprising Versatility for Gardeners
Spices and Herbs by Plant
- Annatto, Achiote, or Lipstick Tree
- Persian Basil
- Thai Basil
- Cilantro and Coriander
- Fenugreek: Growing Fenugreek: Plant Varieties, How-to Guide, Problems, and Harvesting
- Garlic: Growing, Harvesting, and Curing Garlic (with video)
- Ginger: Growing and Harvesting Ginger at Home (with video)
- Gochu: How to Grow Gochu (Korean Chili Peppers) for Gochujang, Fermented Food Fight Over Kimchi
- Horseradish: Growing Horseradish: How to Plant, Grow, and Harvest Horseradish
- Mustard: Growing and Harvesting Mustard for Spice
- Poppies: Growing Poppies for Decorative Seed Pods, Spice, and Beauty
- Saffron: Growing, Harvesting, and Curing Saffron at Home (with video) and also Growing Saffron: A Complete Guide to Planting and Taking Care of Saffron at Home (on Morning Chores)
- Sesame: The Secrets of Sesame (with video)
- Thyme: Make Thyme
Plus… I also wrote a whole book on growing spices with help from herbalist Lindsey Feldpausch, RH and illustrator Greta Moore!
Here are some livestock related articles to help you navigate through this broad topic. However, I’ve written tons of articles on livestock for many different organizations. So, if you are looking for something not shown in the lists below, please also check my Books and Media page.
- Must Love Ducks
- Raising Ducklings – Week 1 (with video)
- Raising Ducklings – Week 2 (with video)
- Raising Ducklings – Week 3 (with video)
- How to Choose the Right Duck Breeds
- Incubating Duck Eggs
- Brooding Ducklings
- The Little Yellow Duck House and Mirabelle Plums